Thursday, January 31, 2013

Jumbled Sunshine Review: "Once Upon a Time" TV series

I thought I'd start a series with my take on various shows, movies, books, etc. I'll just do it as they come up in my life, no rhyme or reason in particular. It's more surprising that way! ;) So - here's my take on the ABC TV series, "Once Upon a Time" which premiered on ABC TV in 2011. Season Two is currently being aired on ABC TV (as of 1/31/13), and all of season one is available HERE on Netflix.


*     *     *     *     *
Official Rating: TV-PG
Jumbled Sunshine Rating: TV-12 (for disturbing themes, intense fantasy violence, and mild/rare suggestive content). 

Plot Synopsis (by imdb.com): 
"Emma Swan gets the surprise of her life when Henry, the son she gave up 10 years ago, arrives on her doorstep. Returning the boy to his adoptive mother becomes complicated when Henry reveals a stunning theory to Emma. Everyone in Storybrooke, Maine is a fairytale character under a curse, and Emma - as the long lost daughter of Snow White and Prince Charming - is the one who can save them all. The story unfolds; interweaving scenes of the drama in the sleepy New England town and the inhabitants' past lives in the world of fairy tales. The timeless battle of good vs evil is ready to begin again." 

Jumbled Sunshine Review & Parents Guide: 
This sounds like a kids show, but it is NOT. It's like a fairy tale story for grown-ups. I really enjoy the plot and the twists and turns, but I would recommend it only for adults and teenagers and perhaps some tweens, depending on their maturity level. There are intense scenes of fantasy violence and some disturbing twisted plotlines that, in my opinion, make it inappropriate for younger audiences. I would suggest that parents preview several episodes before deciding which of your children can handle a show like this, taking into account your child's understanding of the difference between fantasy and reality and whether or not they have a tendency to nightmares. That said, one of the main characters, Henry, is a boy about 11-ish who is a big part of the storyline and a pretty good hero-character. The show has a lot of happy charming moments, but it really is a plotline intended for mature audiences. At our home, my 8-year-old son is not allowed to watch it, and my very mature 11-year-old daughter is watching it while supervised by me so we can discuss anything as needed. The older teens watch it on their own and they all love it. Me too. :)

2 comments:

  1. Very Mature 11-year-old here. ;) I have to agree in here with this rating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're the best Melissa! We need to watch the next episode - I can't wait to see what happens next! Hansel & Gretel was a fun one, huh?

    ReplyDelete

Join the Conversation!

I'd love to have you connect up with me on social media. For a list of all the places where we can connect online, visit: www.jumbeldsunshine.com/p/social.html. I'd love to get to know you, see your channel, your page, your social media stuff that you're doing out there. I just love learning and meeting people and connecting with people, so I'm excited to get to know you. ~JS~ 🌞