Wednesday, March 28, 2018

First Official Wellness Wednesday Video (Transcript)

This blog post is a (slightly edited) transcript from a video that I filmed in January 2018 as an introduction to what I was planning to call “Weight Loss Wednesday” which has now been updated to #WellnessWednesday. So it’s a little bit behind where I’m at now in my weight loss journey, but it has some good background information about my health history and methods that I’ve been using over the past year.

Image Credit: www.crazyfitmama.com

I'll be uploading the video to YouTube by the end of the day today and then I'll add the link to the bottom of this post. So without further ado, here’s the transcript of the video. Enjoy!!

* * * * *

Hey there everyone! Jumbled Sunshine here! I am going to do my first official Weight Loss Wednesday video right now. I just wanted to share with you a little bit of my weight loss journey so far, and kind of where I'm at, what I've done to get here, and where I’m going.

Background

Growing up I did not have a weight problem. I was a fairly small-sized person, I guess. I wasn't like Skinny Minnie, but I was just kind of an average kid growing up. In High school I started thinking I was really fat (you know as everybody probably thinks when they're in High School!) so for a while there I worked pretty hard to exercise and to try and stay at a decent weight. I probably even took it a little bit too far, as many of you may have been down that kind of a road before. But by the time I got through to college, I started being a little smarter about things, and I just pretty much did okay. I was just kind of an average weight, not super skinny, but not heavy.

It wasn't really until I started having my kids that, you know, I would gain weight, have a baby, then I'd lose most of it, but maybe not all. After my second baby, I was like, "Okay, if I gain 10 pounds with every baby, I'm in trouble!" So I worked really hard at it, and I remember after my third child was born, being super excited to be able to put my wedding dress back on. So that was like pretty awesome. I'm like, "I've had three babies and I'm wearing my wedding dress!" You know, I just remember that felt like a pretty awesome achievement! 💒

Anyway, I worked pretty hard on staying on shape throughout the years as my other children were born. But then, after my sixth baby was born, I started having some other health issues, and it just really started to take a toll on me, and I didn't have a lot of energy. Then, when I went through my seventh pregnancy, which was my last, that's when I just put on the weight and I didn't ever lose it. Not only did I not lose it, but I put on more weight after the baby was born.

So just for the last decade (baby number 7 is 13 now!) I've been just like heavier than I really feel like is good for me, and I've been wanting to make a change. I've done some things here and there, and I'd lose a little bit of weight, and then maybe maintain for awhile and then regain it. You know, just kind of that up-down that I'm sure some of you are familiar with!

Time for a Change!

In the meantime, a lot of my health problems had resolved for the most part, and I wasn’t having near the problems that I had had for awhile, so I decided that it was time to really buckle down and work on my health and weight loss.

So starting on April 20th of 2017, that was the day that I put my weight down on a chart and started charting it, and started following some plans to try and make a difference. My goal was to lose 50 pounds total.

Trim Healthy Mama

I started doing Trim Healthy Mama, which many of you might be familiar with. And that was kind of my main way that I lost probably the first 15 pounds. If you're not familiar with Trim Healthy Mama, you can look at their website: TrimHealthyMama.com. They've got some great stuff. There's a little bit of a learning curve, but once you start figuring it out, it's really a plan that can be a lifetime plan I think. At least for me, I was able to learn how to be in pretty much any situation, and stay pretty close to on-plan. I customized it for myself, as anyone should, and I saw really good results with that. Like I said, I lost about my first 18 pounds with that program.

Periodic Fasting (AKA Intermittent Fasting)

Then I kind of hit a plateau, and nothing was happening, and I got thinking, "Okay, I need to do something a little bit different now." So that's when I decided to try some periodic fasting. So with that, what you do, at least the way [I was doing it in January] is that you fast for 14 hours and then you eat for 10 hours. So out of every 24 hour day, you're only eating 10 hours of it. (The resources I initially used actually suggested that men fast 16 hours and then follow with eight hours of eating.)

It sounds like it would be really hard, but really what it kind of came down to for me was cutting off my eating after a certain time in the evening, and then just counting 14 hours forward, and not eating until that time the next morning. I would kind of start to get hungry toward the end of that 14 hour period, but not bad. And it really kind of jump-started me, and I was able to go past the 25 pound loss, which was super exciting!

2017 Results

I got all the way to 27 pounds lost, which was a little more than half of my goal of 50 pound weight loss. So to recap, mostly I did Trim Healthy Mama, then I started doing some periodic fasting, but I would still eat pretty Trim Healthy Mama-ish during my actual eating hours. And that's pretty much what I did through most of 2017. That's not super specific, but I can go into more details on other Weight Loss Wednesdays.

I hadn't really done a lot with exercise, I mostly just adapted my eating. During this time, I was still recuperating from the shoulder surgery that I had on February 28, 2018, so the exercise I did do was mostly just my shoulder physical therapy exercises. This weight loss journey was over a period of about seven months, from April 2017 to November 2017. I think I did it wisely, where I'd drop a few pounds, and then I'd maintain for awhile, and I'd drop a few pounds, maintain for awhile, and so on.

Holiday Blues

Things went really well until the holidays came. In November and December of 2017, my eating habits were pretty sketchy, so I did gain some of my weight back. I was mostly off-plan over the holidays, although I did do pretty well with the periodic fasting, but then as soon as I was eating, I ate terrible for all my eating hours. And then I would fast again, and then I would eat terrible. I probably would have gained more weight back if it weren’t for the periodic fasting. I mean, I only gained about four pounds over the holidays, which isn't too bad for being pretty off-plan for nearly two months.

January 2018 Progress Update

So right now [as of January 2018] I am at about 23 pounds down from where I started. No biggie, I'm gonna get right back on the wagon! I wanted to let you know what I'm doing right now, currently. What I decided to do, starting January 2nd (because January 1st was still kind of a holiday around my house) I thought to myself, "Okay, I gotta get some motivation to get back into this." So starting January 2nd, I'm doing one rule: no treats, no sweets for the whole month of January.

I'm also doing some periodic fasting, so I'll usually stop eating maybe like 8:00 at night, and then I'll go to like 10:00 in the morning before I eat. I'll go into it in another video, because I know that you think, "Well, isn't it better to not eat in the evenings, and then to eat breakfast?" Because you always hear eating breakfast is important. But actually some of the research I did actually kind of showed the opposite. And it was sort of interesting, and it's been really successful for me. Like I said, I was able to lose an additional 10 pounds doing that periodic fasting, even when I wasn't eating perfectly in the other 10 hours of the day.

January 2018 Goals

Anyway, so going forward in January, my current goal is basically just don't eat sugar. I mean, there might be a little bit of sugar in stuff. I'm not gonna be like crazy hyper-vigilant about it. But I'm not gonna be eating candy, and cookies, and ice cream and all this stuff that's been dropped off at my house for the whole month of December! So none of that.

Basically, the idea in my head is that if it could be a Trim Healthy Mama “S Meal”, then it's good to go. So just no sweets. I'm not gonna necessarily be trying to be super vigilant yet on the Trim Healthy Mama stuff, because I kind of need to do it one step at a time. But that's my plan, and I'll be able to get back on track here.

So that's my updated progress. If you have any questions about specifics, let me know! I'll put some links below that link to some of these sources that I've talked about, and where I learned what I learned about the Trim Healthy Mama and the Periodic Fasting.

So anyway, I hope you have a wonderful day. Thanks for joining me for Weight Loss Wednesday and I will talk to you again soon!

~JS~ 🌞
#WellnessWednesday

___________________________________________________________

 [JS here on 5/23/18: Apparently I never uploaded this video to YouTube!! 🙄 Unfortunately, I'm noticing this oversight on a day when I'm not in the right place to find and upload the old video, so just wanted you to know that I'll try to add it soon! Let me know if you're one of the people waiting on it and I'll move it to the top of my very long to-do list. Otherwise it may be awhile. 😉


No comments:

Post a Comment

Join the Conversation!

I'd love to have you connect up with me on social media. For a list of all the places where we can connect online, visit: www.jumbeldsunshine.com/p/social.html. I'd love to get to know you, see your channel, your page, your social media stuff that you're doing out there. I just love learning and meeting people and connecting with people, so I'm excited to get to know you. ~JS~ 🌞