Thursday, May 9, 2013

Pinterest Stress? Really?

So, I came across this article today and was flabbergasted that this is even an issue. Maybe because I've reached a certain age and experience level and I forget that others aren't there too. Not that I'm any smarter or better than anyone else, I am seriously challenged, as you all know by now! But it really saddened me that people are basing their self-esteem on external things like what they perceive others can do that they can't? Honestly, if you think about it, that's just a form of coveting. . . but I jump ahead of myself. How 'bout I share the article? Then you can go read it and see what you think.

Today Show Report:
'Pinterest stress' afflicts nearly half of moms, survey says

Here's my grade of this whole line of reasoning: 
I honestly could go on and on about this and re-post the entire thing, and write in my comments after all the little places where these women are saying things that hurt them inside. I feel so sad for them. That said, I do admire the principle that when something affects you negatively, you should remove it from your life. Very true.

But even better, how about remove the cause of the negativity? I don't think it's the website itself, it's the person's perception of what the website is about. It doesn't matter if it's in the form of a website or a magazine, or a church congregation or gym class. Wherever you are, if you spend your time comparing yourself to others and expecting yourself to live up to "being like everyone else", you will most certainly fail. Your job is to be the best YOU that you can be. At least that's how I see it.

I will say that I *love* the idea of "pinterest fail" - to show how *real* projects turn out. Sometimes they are really great, but most of the time, crafts and dinners and other things like that turn out mediocre or good at best. Not picture perfect. And guess what. . . that's okay! That's real life! That's why I posted pictures of my messy home at the end of that one weekend. . . it's just the way it is, my jumbled friends, it's real life, and guess what - it's okay! Be happy anyway!

But why am I going on about this anyway? I already wrote a comment responding to the article on the Today Show website. I hope that it's helpful to someone. I am re-posting it here for your convenience. I'd love to hear what each of you thinks about this topic!

Talk to you soon!
~ JS ~

Read the comment that I left on the Today Show article by clicking "read more" below:


Jumbled Sunshine commented:


    "Okay ladies, I do understand having low self esteem issues as a young Mom. Been there, done that. Thankfully it's been far behind me for awhile now.


    But Pinterest stress? Really? I hope you realize when you are browsing the site that no one is actually "doing" all the things they pin on there. That's the whole point of pinning it, so you don't *have to* make it or buy it! One person in the entire world, out of billions of people, made that craft, or took that picture. Everyone else is just pinning it because they think it's cute and they want to share it and remember it because it makes them happy or helps them feel inspired.

    For me, I don't need to actually *make* some cute creative thing, because I have a pin of it! I don't need to actually *buy* the cool items on there because I have pins of them! 

    For me, Pinterest is about sharing a bit of what makes me happy with the cyber world. I see a photo of a beautiful sunset - then I feel a little tingle of happiness - so I pin it to my "makes me happy" board, hoping my friends can reap some joy from it as well. I see an adorable little stuffed bear being snuggled by a baby - so I pin it - a great reminder of the preciousness and innocence of childhood! 

    All of this aside, if Pinterest *does* affect you in a negative way, then you're probably right that you shouldn't be on there. But honestly, you will probably feel the same way in a mother's group or a school PTA. All around you are women and men who can do things that you can't. That's okay. For each one of them, you have something you can do that they can't. We all have our own talents, something that makes each of us unique.

    If you want to hear a more realistic version of what *real* parenting is like, at least for me, feel free to have a look at my blog - jumbledsunshine.com. You'll see that I'm like everyone else - certainly nowhere CLOSE to perfect. But all of this pressure and all of the challenges - they are so worth it - really it's true - I know from my own experience. With 7 kids ranging in age from 8 to 21, I've been through the cycle that some of you are facing: trying to "do it all" as a young Mom, realizing as a slightly older Mom that it wasn't possible, and then, as a middle-aged Mom, I've finally achieved what I wish I'd had from the start - a full acceptance of reality, and a full acceptance of myself and a totally love for myself - *just as I am*. No stress. No guilt.  
    These days I spend my time enjoying the fun and exciting elements sprung into each day because of the challenges I face, the people in my life, and my own personality, including my weaknesses as well as my talents. Once you learn to laugh at things and let go, you can relieve any stress or guilt you had and get back to the real purpose of life - JOY."  ~JS~
    Here's how we feel when we love and accept ourselves,
    When we choose to be the best we can be despite our weaknesses.
    We need to love ourselves not just in spite of, but also *because* of our weaknesses.
    Just like Jesus Christ loves us.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Join the Conversation!

    I'd love to have you connect up with me on social media. For a list of all the places where we can connect online, visit: www.jumbeldsunshine.com/p/social.html. I'd love to get to know you, see your channel, your page, your social media stuff that you're doing out there. I just love learning and meeting people and connecting with people, so I'm excited to get to know you. ~JS~ 🌞