Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Day 23. . . er. . . Day 11. . . er. . .

So I had to laugh when I opened up the Day 13 Challenge and read this:

"Here we go...We're almost halfway through the 30-DAY POWER PURGE and this is crunch time. This is the time that most people say, 'Aw, forget it. I'm tired and way too far behind.' Well, I'm telling you to silence those voices! You CAN do this. Don't look at what you haven't done. Look at what you are going to do. Set your sights on these next couple of weeks and let's make it happen!"

Hahahahahaha. . . why am I laughing? Because it's very tempting to think that way, and I have heard some of those exact words in my mind several times the last few weeks. And so, I finally decide to be re-committed and I open up the challenge to see where I'm at and what I need to do next. Then what do I read? A reminder to not give up!! Not only that, but that woman actually PREDICTED what I was thinking! Ha! How do you think she did that? Hmmm, probably because I am NOT alone - lots of people are in the same boat! So - that's just one big giant reason to not get discouraged.

Not to mention, I have already determined that this time I am seriously going to finish no matter what, even if it takes me months to do this, because after all, the point is to get through all 30 challenges and make a difference in my home. Of course, I would prefer that I had actually stayed on target and done them every day in order. . . but I didn't, so, that's not an option. Can't look backwards, only forwards!

So here's where I'm at: I basically did NONE of the challenges last week, so they are on like Day 23 and I am still trying to finish up Day 11: Office. Yeah. Really. So. . . how many of you give up when you get to this point? Huh? Yeah, that's what I thought. Been there, done that.

And you know what? Sometimes it's fine to give up. Why? Because sometimes the goal you made just isn't important anymore. Life changes, goals change. That's okay. And you shouldn't beat yourself up about it. As long as you make a conscious choice that you feel good about, you can (and should) let it go.



But in this case, I am not going to do that. This time I'm going to get right back at it and get it done. I know, I know, I've been saying that for two weeks and you're thinking, "Okay, well then, Ms. Jumbled Sunshine, when are you going to do it? You're all talk and no action!"

You know what I say to that?

You're right.

It's true - that's absolutely what I've been doing lately - thinking about it, dreaming about getting back on track, and then not doing it. Why? That's a good question. And maybe some thoughts about the answer will help you to discover some of the reasons that you haven't been getting done what's on your list. So here goes. . .

Every day I have good intentions, but there is so much else on my plate, and I have just NOT been making it my first priority for the day! It's probably that simple. I haven't been making it a priority. I *think* it's my first priority, but if I'm not actually doing it, then it really isn't, is it? Who do I think I'm kidding? I'm putting other activities and to-do's above my 30-Day Power Purge. Wow, so simple and yet so complex.

So why am I not making it a priority when I clearly WANT it to be my priority? That's a self-defeating behavior if I ever saw one. Why would anyone do that do themselves? Another good question.

So we need to dig a little deeper. I can think of two underlying reasons: 1) boredom and 2) distraction. So let's address those briefly:

1) Boredom. There's something really fun and exciting about starting a new goal. Setting up the plan, making time for it in your schedule, and the thrill of actually accomplishing it each day. But is it possible that as the "newness" of the goal wears off, so does the excitement? And without the excitement, a jumbled personality just can't stay motivated. It's gotta be fun and exciting or else it just can't hold your attention. Hmmmmm. . . I think we're on to something here! And that leads to the next one:

2) Distraction. This one is simple and not so deep - you just get so busy with other things that are more exciting that you find yourself going from project to project, task to task, and never actually getting to the main goal that you were so determined to do! So your attention is focused elsewhere, and thus the goal stalls. When it comes down to it, that's kind of connected to #1, isn't it?

So - what do you think? I'd love to hear thoughts on why you find yourself jumping from one project to another without finishing. I want to analyze this because I really do want to finish this goal, and I have to somehow find a way to get re-motivated to making it ESSENTIAL to each day to commit to the 1-2 hours per day. No matter what. Unless the world is falling apart with something SO critical that it HAS to come second. And seriously, there are probably only one or two days in the last three weeks that could actually qualify for that. So - it's time to get back on the horse.

And you know what's making it different this time? YOU. My readers. I know I only have a few right now, but that's enough. I owe it to you to finish. To show you that it can be done, no matter how jumbled of a personality you have - YOU CAN accomplish a long-range goal! Even when it loses that "new magic"!

I look at it this way: I basically have two choices - 1) To finish this and become your hero, or 2) To quit. (gasp!) But if I quit, I'd have to give up this whole blog because it would be so embarrassing, hahaha! And I really really love this blog! So I'm NOT giving up! Really I'm not! You just watch - TOMORROW I will be posting some new PICTURES!!! Hold me to it!

2 comments:

  1. Here's another thought. Goals can be motivation to learn new skills. And, even if we don't complete the actual goal, the process always teaches us something valuable! Maybe that might mean the challenge was actually more beneficial than the actual completion of it!

    Here are a couple examples: 1) Remember our LTL challenge of a few years ago? As a "jumbled sunshine", I have observed that I can become so distracted in my day with so many wonderful activities that I often forget to eat regular meals. Do you know that I still regularly make up huge batches of individual smoothie and hot cereal packets to be used daily? Uncle Ralph has even begun using them in his carrot juice smoothies! And to help us avoid late night sweet treats, we enjoy the healthy cereal mix before bed. 2) I, also, have not had the time for the 30 day Power Purge. However, I have really used the Pomodoro timer you introduced as a means to track time efficiency in the office. What a revelation that has been! It's amazing how invigorating a five minute break can be!

    So you see, dear niece, for me personally, your "jumbled sunshine" efforts have helped to focus my physical health and emotional well-being through proficient time management. Have I thanked you lately? THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are welcome! And thanks for supporting me and always making comments! I know I have quite a few silent readers out there. . . the stats give it away (wink, wink), but it's fun to have a two-way conversation with a few of you! :)

    You are so right about what we learn from the various goals that we do - I still use tons of little tips here and there that I learned from one program or another. And the best ones - they LAST. Great thought for the day! <3

    ReplyDelete

Join the Conversation!

I'd love to have you connect up with me on social media. For a list of all the places where we can connect online, visit: www.jumbeldsunshine.com/p/social.html. I'd love to get to know you, see your channel, your page, your social media stuff that you're doing out there. I just love learning and meeting people and connecting with people, so I'm excited to get to know you. ~JS~ 🌞